Students honored for both academic and character achievement

On Monday May 16 the annual Lawrence North Academic Honors Awards night was celebrated.  Many students received awards in different categories for both underclassmen and upperclassmen.

“There’s almost 300 that received certificates that night, but there were groups of students that were also honored for being within a group, like National Honor Society or IB or Academic Letters and Academic Honors Diploma and Technical Honors Diploma,“ Betsy Crawshaw, administrative assistant said.

The students were awarded based on their academic excellence and involvement in the community.  Teachers could also select students for different awards and each department gave an award to outstanding students.

“There’s different kinds of awards, so like, if they earned an Academic Honors Diploma or if they earned the Superintendence Award or the Top Ten Award or if they were National Merit kids or if they got Lawrence Township Foundation’s scholarships. Those kids were awarded. Then, also, each department gives awards to students that worked really hard in their classes. So, it was all of that,” Crawshaw said.

This award ceremony is a long standing tradition at LN and is a way to honor those students with an outstanding school performance.

“This is been in effect for much longer than I’ve been here, all I know is that they’ve always done that  and I would guess is to honor students for their hard work,” Crawshaw said.