Students, staff welcome prospective families for upcoming open house

Story by beginning journalism students

Lawrence North High School is debuting a brand new way to open up to prospective families and future students Thursday, Nov. 9 at the open house.

The open house stands as one of the township’s most effective ways to attract students from all walks of life as well as keep students and families within the district and school system, according to interim assistant principal Brian Atkinson.

The open house has the main purpose of adding diversity to an already diverse school. 95 percent of the LN staff will be present, showing off a little of everything available at the high school, which has a better experience and more opportunities according to Atkinson. Atkinson, as well as the other staff members, have prepared for the past month to welcome students from fourth all the way to eighth grade.

“The more variety we have, top to bottom, the more enhanced this experience becomes,” Atkinson said.

The teachers won’t run the event all on their own, though. Students in all classes have volunteered to help teachers and staff on Thursday, as LN will be showcasing all of its club, academic, athletic and career opportunities offered.

“I just like being able to represent this school to the best of my ability, as well as share my opinions on Lawrence and everything it has to offer. I like going to school here and I hope I can make that experience happen for someone else,” sophomore Marcus Goodpaster said.

Goodpaster will be helping Sra. Nieves, his Immersion Spanish teacher, at the open house.

Around 300 to 400 people are expected to come to the open house, some of which go to private schools but want a change of pace.

“The amount of classes we offer here is immense. Not many schools have as many science, math and english classes as us. We have classes for those who are struggling as well as those who excel in any or all departments. You don’t see that at private schools,” chemistry teacher Lacey Moss said.

Students are getting the opportunity this year to follow guided tours, that explore all corners of the school rather than just the commons, which was the original area for the open house in past years.  The upcoming open house is one of the year’s biggest events, giving students the chance to speak to whoever they want to, see whatever they want to and experience LN the best way possible.