Black Student Union brings in Ashley Gurvitz as a Guest Speaker

On Wednesday, Feb. 27 Black Student Union will welcome Ashley Gurvitz to Lawrence North as a speaker for the Black History Month guest speaker series. This seminar will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Media Center. It will be free and all are welcome to attend.

“As co-sponsors of BSU, we wanted to invite community members into our organization and into our school to start educating students about the role they can play in helping out society,” said Tuesday Anderson, adviser for BSU.

Gurvitz is an Internship Director and senior Legislative Assistant for the Indiana House of Representatives. She is also a former president of the Indiana Young Democrats and is currently the president of the Marion County Young Democrats. Her accomplishments include being recognized as a finalist for Indy’s Best and Brightest in Government and 100 Black Men of Indianapolis’ Emerging Leader in Government.

BSU hopes to enlighten the students about community service and public activism. They want students to learn from Gurvitz and become leaders in society.

“We need kids to really start using their voice. We really need kids to start understanding that they are very important part of our community and society, and that they have choices on how they want to act and engage,” Anderson said.

Adviser Edward Tucker also hopes that students will take something away from this experience and make a difference.

“I hope students will learn the importance of community service, and hopefully they will learn how blessed they are and how in order to be a good person you have to give back to the community,” Tucker said.

BSU is hoping to bring in a guest speaker every quarter and eventually bring in a lot more speakers to inform students on their role in society.

“We are going to be trying to do this once a quarter because we feel that we are a new organization. Sometimes I think you can bite off more than you can chew, and we don’t want that. We want to start maybe slow and small and then kind of build upon some success stories,” said Anderson.