New foreign exchange students arrive, adjust to American lifestyle

As the 2017-2018 school year his the week mark, students are now adjusting into the flow of a new grade. For most students, a new year is simple, for others it’s not. Traveling from countries such as Brazil, Ecuador and Vietnam, nine students are embarking on a new, year long journey at Lawrence North as the newest exchange students in a brand new country. Through the guidance of counselor Brad Cangany, foreign exchange students are now enrolling and adding classes to their schedules as a world of opportunities open up.

For Sebastian Gudina Paspuel from Ecuador, the American culture and chance to experience it provided a once in a lifetime experience.

“I want to know how Americans do all the things they do and how the life and of course the shoes are,” Gudina Paspuel said of the opportunity. ““I also want to visit the tourist places, learn the english above all and practice sports that aren’t offered in Ecuador.”

While adjusting to the american lifestyle, the family culture may be the biggest difference for Gudina Paspuel.

“We are different. In Ecuador we are so loving so we are always giving hugs and kisses to say goodbye. We spend time with family and friends, doing everything together,” Gudina Paspuel said. “Americans are very serious and they’re not very loving or open compared to Ecuador.”

While the changes seemed big at the beginning, the students such as Japanese student Wakayo Shiroma, have quickly adjusted.
“It was very complicated, I was worried about making friends and what the teachers would say to me,” Shiroma said. “However, the teachers are very nice and caring to me.”

The nine students will spend the remaining school year before graduating from Lawrence North next June.

Foreign Exchange 2018
1. Aulenbach, Nele: Germany
2. Bruna, Carolina Barreto Maia: Brazil
3. Buric, Lajla: Bosnia and Herzegovina
4. Foerster, Marlene: Germany
5. Gudina Paspuel, Jhojan Sebastian: Ecuador
6. Jo, Eunseol: South Korea
7. Kretschmer, Alina: Germany
8. Nguyen, Binh Ha: Vietnam
9. Shiroma, Wakayo: Japan