Junior Trinity Brady takes new role for young Girls Basketball team

Upon the walls of Jack Keefer Gymnasium, fans will see some names that led the Lawrence North Girls Basketball program to four 20-win seasons, four straight MIC titles, three straight sectional championships, two regional championships and three Marion County titles. Ana Owens, Destiny Washington, Lamina Cooper and Ae’Rianna Harris among others set the precedent for success. However it may be the name Trinity Brady, a name that still holds a place in the game programs, yet to reside on the hollow gym walls, that may leave the greatest impact. Before that happens,  the junior Brady will have to do something she hasn’t been counted on to do before, take the reigns of one of the youngest teams Head Coach Chris Giffin has had in his tenure.

Although the task may seem daunting, Brady understands the change in circumstances, giving her a new role this season.  

“I have to talk a lot more. Freshman year I could kind of just sit back and they would talk but now I’ve got to go out there and be loud and get everyone on the same page,” Brady said.

Those who’ve come before her such as Harris, Lauren Dickerson and Destiny Perkins paved the path for her, giving Brady the chance to learn from the best for when her chance finally came.

“She’s witnessed players with really good leadership skills, so she’s been able to see things that were done right and then those that were done incorrectly that might need tweaked or changed,” Giffin said. “Obviously she’s got to adapt and learn to do things in her own way, different from others.”

While her experience is a valuable attribution, it’s perhaps Brady’s personality that best suits her to take this new role.

“Trinity, her enthusiasm for the game and how much she just enjoys the comradery and interacting with the team makes her special. That’s something that’s been since her freshman year, but it’s definitely grown over the last two years and year and a half,” Giffin said. “I think she understands and wants to be a leader. I think we could’ve used a little more from everyone last year and they just weren’t ready. Now, I think as a junior and next year as a senior, she’ll be ready.”

Just as those in the past helped guide Brady, the junior has done just the same for those that follow.  As now sophomore Katie Davidson prepared to take on her freshman season, Brady took Davidson under wing, guiding her through the rigors of varsity basketball.

“She was really helpful. Trinity would help get the offense and scoring going,” Davidson said. “She was a leader and helped me get adjusted.”

Both Davidson and Brady will be counted on a lot this season for a team that loses senior starters Destiny Perkins and Mya Parker. Despite the youth, with LN starting four sophomores, Giffin sees a sense of togetherness that was often missing last season.

“Our overall chemistry is better both on and off the court. I think that should translate to the product people see on game night. They are definitely a team that really seems to like each other this year,” Giffin said. “I think we have potential. We’re a little banged up right now, but when we get healthy I think we have the potential for a lot of depth throughout our varsity lineup. I think that will be a surprise to some people that some of the players we’re able to put out there and be productive will really shock someone.

The jersey has only just come on for Brady yet, as an injury held her out of the first two games of the season. Even after nailing a turnaround jumper to beat top ten Heritage Christian and averaging 15.1 ppg and 7.8 rpg last season, Brady can’t see the level that she plays at right now. She doesn’t know where she’s at. She doesn’t know how good she can be. That may be scary for others who cross the new and more vocal Trinity Brady.

“Not really sure where my game is at right now,” Brady said. “I still have a lot of work to get to the top and that’s where I want to be.”
Brady started alongside Harris and Dickerson her freshman year as LN won their third straight sectional before falling to now UCLA sophomore Lindsey Corsaro and Roncalli. Brady didn’t play in that regional game. A car accident in the week before held her out for precautionary measures. That loss and missed chance to advance in the state tournament is something that still hurts Brady to this day.

“I want to get back. We’re young right now but I think we have the chance to get there and go far in the next couple of years,” Brady said. “But, I think [2015-2016] was our year though, that’s when we could’ve done the most damage.”  

While it’s hard to look towards the future, Giffin understands that Brady is a special talent, perhaps one of the best to ever don the red and green of LN girls basketball in multiple different aspects.
“Certainly going into my sixth year here, she’s certainly one of the most versatile players I’ve had in terms of her ability to play inside and outside. I think along with Lamina Cooper, who was an Indiana All-Star and could’ve been Miss. Basketball had she not got hurt, Trinity is right up there in terms of her versatility,” Giffin said. “Her numbers, by the time she’s done since she played so much as a freshman, have the chance to be up there in terms of all time points and rebounds. She definitely could be one of the best to ever play here and has the chance to go to the next level and earn many more accolades.”
While the pressure starts to mount for the veteran on a young team, Brady doesn’t let the expectations get to her, but rather focuses on the nature of basketball and helping her team win.

“It’s an honor but it’s a lot of pressure. Everyone’s expecting a lot but it’s fun, basketball is supposed to be fun,” Brady said. “I want to win a State Championship, that’s pretty much all.”