LN hosts Prom for Juniors and Seniors

Prom is a tradition that juniors and seniors enjoy. Getting all dressed up, dancing all night, and spending the night with friends is something that they will always remember. For treasurer Pearl McQueenie, prom has an important place in her heart as she has been planning the LN school dances for the last 15 years.

Prom and Homecoming have allowed me a chance to get out of my office and do something positive with students.  It has allowed me some creative latitude with themes and decor and great opportunities,” McQueenie said.

This year’s prom will be the last school dance McQueenie plans. Although she has enjoyed being able to host the prom over the last 15 years, she is ready to give someone else the opportunity to plan the dances. 

“I am both ready and reluctant to pass the torch but I know that whoever takes over will do a great job for LN students,” McQueenie said. 

This year, Prom will be held at Daniel’s Vineyard on May 14 from 7-10 p.m. In years past, Prom has traditionally been held at the Willows. However, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, McQueenie had to look for a place with an outdoor venue to host the event. She feels lucky to have found a place to have Prom as many schools are not able to have a Prom this year.

“When we knew the lockdown wasn’t going to be relieved, nobody was finding any places for prom. Most of the MIC schools aren’t even having prom this year, but I had been up to Daniel’s last summer for an event and I knew they had an outdoor venue area, so I called and they hadn’t scheduled any proms yet and they had two days open in May, so I took one and I referred LC for the other one, so we were pretty lucky,” McQueenie said.

As students enter the prom, they will be able to vote for Prom king and queen. There will be a live DJ at Prom. Gigi’s Cupcakes, Just Popped In popcorn, and drinks will be available for all students. The prom will take place under an outdoor pavilion with lights and fire pits for students to enjoy. 

“[The theme is] ‘Under the Stars’. That was pretty easy to figure out. They already have light and fire pits and tables out there, so I didn’t have to rent anything but I rented a backdrop that’s a big green leafy backdrop with a really cool antique sofa so people can do selfies and pictures and stuff,” McQueenie said.

Students must bring their student IDs to prom as their tickets are on their student IDs. There is limited parking at the venue, so students are encouraged to carpool. In addition, all students must wear a mask at all times during Prom for the safety of everybody.

“We’re going to stick to the mask thing pretty strenuously. We just don’t want to run any risks. Hopefully in a few months we won’t have to worry about any of this, but right now I don’t want to take any chances with anybody,” McQueenie said.

While this year’s prom is different from years past, McQueenie is thankful that the school was able to find a way to host one. She hopes that the prom is something that everybody will enjoy.

“I’m thankful that we worked something out. I hope everyone has a good time and understands that this maybe isn’t the prime idea that they had for prom, but I think everybody’s reevaluating what’s the perfect scenario of anything right now. I just hope they have a good time because that’s what it’s really about,” McQueenie said.

Meet your Prom court

How does it feel to be on Prom Court? What are you looking forward to at Prom?

Alyson Bradtmiller- ”It feels really good because it makes me feel like I can be a representation of LN. I’m looking forward to seeing lots of friends and being able to have this event since this year has been so hectic.”

Kelly Curry- “It was very surprising but very exciting. Especially being on the court with my sister. I’m looking forward to just having a good time at prom. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Rachel Curry- “It feels pretty good to be on prom court. I wasn’t expecting it but I’m glad I get to experience it my last year of high school. What I’m looking forward to at prom is just getting dressed up since I don’t really get to do that often.”

Daniella Dall- “I am very excited to be on prom court, and I’m looking forward to seeing all my friends dress up really nice and to have fun for the first time in a long time.”

Paris McClendon- “It feels really good to be on Prom court, especially since we didn’t know if we’d even have Prom. I’m looking forward to dressing up and spending time with my favorite people.

Crosby Albright- “It feels great to be on prom court, very nice to finish off my senior year. I look forward to hopefully winning.”

Antonio Ferran- “I am honestly surprised and excited to be on prom court and I am looking forward to dancing and hanging out with my friends during prom.”

Enas Hayden- “It’s really exciting being on prom court because it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while now. I’m most looking forward to the possibility of winning prom king.”

Donaven McCulley- “It feels good to know that my classmates voted me for prom court. What I’m looking forward to the most is turning up with my bros.”

Brody Smith- “It feels great. I just want to say thank you for everyone who voted for my fellow classmates and I for prom court. Now we have to win Prom King. I’m looking forward to a whole bunch of dancing and having a ton of fun. Can’t wait.”