The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

New and Improved

Swim team opens season today in new natatorium
The+new+natatorium+is+bigger+than+the+old+pool+and+will+provide+a+better+space+for+the+swimming+and+diving+teams%2C+as+well+health+classes.+
Tierra Watts
The new natatorium is bigger than the old pool and will provide a better space for the swimming and diving teams, as well health classes.

After years of anticipation, the new pool has finally been completed, providing a much bigger and efficient space for everyone to enjoy. 

It took around six years for the pool to be built. 

“It took six months into the planning process from a drawing perspective and the initial conversations back in 2017, which was six years ago,” Matt Moen, Lawrence Township Aquatics Director, said. “From the building construction standpoint, it was a two year build. All said and done it was six years of planning and two years of building.”

Thomas Moore, who’s the new swim teacher and also the head swimming and diving coach, is excited to be working in the new area. Moore came from Pike High School and was there for about 11 years. 

“It was the reason why I took the job here at LN was to work with the PE department and make sure everyone is comfortable in the water. It’s what I’ve been looking forward to now that the new pool is open and how it’s an excellent opportunity to teach people who don’t know how to swim to swim and how they are already aware of how to maneuver in the water,” Moore said.

The new pool is bigger than the older one and can be set up in different ways, according to Moore.

“Before, the pool was maybe about a third of the new pool size, and it’s definitely much bigger and we can set it up in different ways,” Moore said. “We have diving on one side and swimming on the other. We can also do lessons in the middle, so what this does, it gives us a lot of options on how we can set it up for programming.” 

The new pool will be used for PE class and for the swim team to use. The old pool, which is right around the corner from the new area, will continue to be used, but for different purposes. 

“The old pool gets filled in and turns it into a multi-purpose gym to be used for volleyball tournaments, wrestling, and performing arts,” Moen said.   

Tonight the boys and girls will start off their Swimming and Diving season here using the new natatorium at 5:30 p.m. LN will host Brebeuf and Chatard in a double duel meet.