The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

Limiting cell phone use in class is a good idea

Newly proposed bill in Indiana would require restricting cell phones in schools

In Indiana a group of senators are proposing  a legislative bill related to restricting cellphones in schools. Indiana schools have raised concerns about the negative impacts of cellphone use on students’ academic performance, social interactions, and overall well-being. These incidents could include instances of increased cyberbullying, cheating on tests, or distractions to students’ learning. This bill could seek to regulate cell phone use during school hours across Indiana. 

I think cell phones should be restricted because students aren’t properly using their phones in schools causing negative performances in class, many distractions, and distractions in learning. If I was to find a way to make this bill useful, I would give a certain amount of chances before the student gets expelled, and if they get too many expulsions they can’t come back. This would hopefully teach them a lesson on listening and paying attention more because if they want to go somewhere in life they will need a high school diploma.

Test scores have a possibility of going up if they ban cell phones. There have been many studies about the effects of cell phones on learning, and in one study found that test scores increased by 6.4 percent after schools banned cell phones. Being on social media all the time also causes mentally related problems in the lives of young students and even older students. The increased use of cell phones with teenagers has raised concerns about how it is all affecting kids’ mental health.                    

Some people may argue that cell phones are needed at all times. We aren’t saying cell phones should be banned, but we are saying that cell phones should be restricted for most classes unless it’s classes like photography or maybe a media class. Cell phones should be put away in normal classes unless told to be out. Students could have them on them or in their backpacks, but just not out. People may say you need them out for emergency reasons but you would still have them on you for reasons like that. 

I believe the bill they are trying to pass should be because it can help students in many ways. The end result would be better, smarter students.