The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

Juniors prepare for SATs

Next Wednesday marks an important day as students check off requirements for graduation

Wednesday, March 6 will be an important day for all juniors. That is the day they will take the SAT 

“It’s important because of school accountability (school letter grade) and the free chance to take it and graduation pathways,” assistant principal Ayanna Williams said.

As that day approaches, students have various ways to prepare for the big test. Junior English classes are giving out student ID tickets so that students can have an opportunity to take a full practice SAT. Students are also finding online studying for the SATs. 

“They can either take SAT preps or can do a full-length practice SAT,” Williams said. 

According to Williams, the SAT should be taken very seriously. There are two modules on each section and the second module will always be based on how good you do on the first one. 

“Take the test seriously and don’t be afraid. Take module 1 very seriously,” Williams said. 

No students will be allowed to leave before testing is done. Williams said that tests end around 1:30 p.m. and if students do not want to stay until 3:40 p.m. then their parents or guardians must call the day before. 

The test will be on the computer and no electronic devices other than a student’s Chromebook will be allowed to be on during the testing period, according to Williams. Before testing starts, students will be asked to put all electronics in personal baggies they will receive and if they are caught with it even during breaks they will face consequences. 

“Bring chromebook and chromebook chargers,” Williams said.  “No electronic devices will be active and will be in baggies, and if you’re caught, the College Board won’t allow you to take future tests.”

As for the freshmen, sophomores and seniors, they will do asynchronous learning that day. That means they will be at home spending their time working on any assignments their green day teachers set out. They will not be allowed in the school.  

With just a couple of days left until the big day, juniors need to be preparing for a different type of day midweek next week. 

“I’m asking for help from teachers and studying more to prepare for the SAT’s,” junior Courtnee Reece said.