The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

During April, people encouraged to sign up as donors

More than 1,000 Hoosiers are in need of organs or tissue

Donate To Life month is the month of April. Donate to Life is a donation program that is an entire month of activities to help encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors and to honor those that have saved lives through the gift of donation. 

“Organ donations save lives because you don’t think about it until someone who you care about needs it,” Kelly Shoger, science department chair, said. 

Signing up to become a donor can be very helpful to many people across the country. There are more than 1,000 Hoosiers in need of organs or tissue, and there are over 100,000 people nationwide who are in need of an organ or tissue transplant. 

“Consider being a donor because even in tragedy you could help people and it could be really good for the family of the person who needs it. There’s also living donations where you can save lives where you can donate bone marrow, kidney, and part of the liver,” Shoger said. 

There are many different things many people don’t know about donating to people. There are outcomes that can benefit you in ways.

“One person can save 8 lives and can donate tissues to 74 more people and what’s more important and beneficial than being able to help others,” Shoger said.