The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

LN honors dedicated workers

School announces Teacher of the Year and Classified Staff Member of the Year

Teacher of the Year

Math teacher Samantha Good watches as her students work through some math problems during R7. Good is this year’s LN Teacher of the Year.

When Samantha Good decided to be a teacher, math seemed to be the obvious choice.

“I chose teaching because of my math teachers in high school. They were just really supportive and always celebrated my accomplishments, and I wanted to do the same thing for my students, so I became a teacher,” Good said.

Each teacher faces successes and challenges. 

Some challenges that Good has faced during her years of teaching is trying to juggle everything. 

“We really know the content and what we’re teaching, but you also have to think about your students and what’s best for them. So you’re just thinking through all these things really fast and what I can do best for everyone,” Good said. 

This year Good was awarded Lawrence North’s teacher of the year. 

“I’m really honored to be nominated and awarded the teacher of the year, but really I think it goes to my students. It’s kind of mixed emotions because I feel like it really goes to all of them and not just me,” Good said. 

Good is known for being loved by her students and being a very helpful resource for students. Sawsan Farag is also a math teacher at LN and works with Good. 

“She has a great relationship with her students,” Farag said. “That’s why they love her so much. She also stays after many hours and also has great relationships with other teachers. She is great with helping her students when they have questions.” 

Classified Staff Member of the Year

Bookstore manager Antoinette Welch is this year’s LN Classified Staff Member of the Year. Welch also sponsors the Key Club and is the boys basketball operation manager. (Desiree Stubbs)

Antoinette Welch is Lawrence North’s bookstore manager, as well as the prom sponsor and the varsity basketball team manager. 

Welch says that she enjoys working here because she enjoys working with the youth and working with the basketball players. 

This year Welch was awarded classified staff member of the year. 

“I was surprised but I was honored that my coworkers felt that I deserved this award,” Welch said. 

Welch was nominated by administrative assistant Lakesha Arrington. 

Arrington says that during prom week, Welch planned a lot of fun activities with the help of the prom committee for students and staff to participate in and enjoy. 

“I nominated Ms. Tony because of the simple fact that she is here for the students,” Arrington said. “Not only does she manage the varsity boys basketball, but she also does Key Club and she is a person that students can always go to. She’s just a really fun person to be around, and I also voted for her because she can bring up the morale in the building because she’s always planning something fun.”