The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

Predicting the 2023-24 NFL Season

Teams ready to start fresh
Quarterback+Patrick+Mahomes+celebrates+his+first+super+bowl+championship+in+Kansas+City%2C+February+2020%2C+after+defeating+the+49ers.+Last+year%2C+he+took+the+Chiefs+back+to+the+super+bowl+and+again+campout+victorious+against+the+Philadelphia+Eagles.+What+will+this+year+hold%3F+
Steam Pipe Trunk Distribution Venue, CC BY 2.0
Quarterback Patrick Mahomes celebrates his first super bowl championship in Kansas City, February 2020, after defeating the 49ers. Last year, he took the Chiefs back to the super bowl and again campout victorious against the Philadelphia Eagles. What will this year hold?

The NFL season is about to kick off Sept. 7 with the Lions at the Chiefs season opener. For fans, this season is the most exciting one in a while. A lot of teams have improved drastically this off-season, and training camp makes fans more excited. The pre-season just kicked off last week, showing how some of the rookies and the new players on their new teams are playing and adapting to their new teams. The rookie quarterback CJ Stroud looked rough in his first start, especially with accuracy. First overall pick Bryce Young looked solid, and the “generational” prospect Anthony Richardson looked up and down.

Some of these teams have an easier schedule than other teams, but sometimes that doesn’t matter. For instance, the Kansas City Chiefs had a very difficult schedule last season and still won the Super Bowl. But schedule difficulty does affect a team’s success throughout the season. Here are my record and playoff predictions for the 2023-24 NFL season. 

For the AFC, I think that the Kansas City Chiefs will conquer the AFC West and the AFC as a whole. Finishing second in the AFC will be the Baltimore Ravens, a toss up between them and the Cincinnati Bengals. Third will be the Buffalo Bills finishing slightly behind the Ravens and winning the AFC East. Fourth place will be the Jacksonville Jaguars. This is the only competitive team in their division. Then the  Los Angeles Chargers will take fifth. And 6th and 7th will be the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins. This is the best conference as of now. 

Now for the NFC, the Philadelphia Eagles will take the NFC East and the entirety of the conference. Second will be the Seattle Seahawks, finishing far ahead of any other team in the NFC West. Finishing third will be the Minnesota Vikings. With an offense that good, they can make it far. And finishing 4th  is the Carolina Panthers, with a weak division like the NFC South they’re bound to win it. 5th and 6th will be the division rivals the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants. And finally finishing in the 7th seed is the San Francisco 49ers.

Finally, my playoff predictions. For the AFC I think the Josh Allen-led Bills and the Patrick Mahomes-led Chiefs will compete in the AFC championship. For the NFC, I think the Seattle Seahawks, led by veteran QB Geno Smith, will meet the former NFC Champions, the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship. Winning the Conference Championships will be the Seattle Seahawks and the Kansas City Chiefs. They will face off in the Super Bowl with the Chiefs winning back-to-back Championships.