The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

Has Dr. King’s dream been realized?

As the world celebrated MLK Day on Monday, Wildcats offer up thoughts on whether his dream has been realized.

This year, Martin Luther King Day fell on Monday, Jan. 15, King’s actual birthday. The day is meant as a celebration of his contribution to society. Dr. King was an American Baptist minister, activist, and political philosopher who was one of the most prominent leaders in the Civil Rights movement. His most famous speech was “I Have A Dream.” He was shot dead April 4, 1968,  standing on a balcony outside his second-floor room at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee. As the country celebrated his life this week, we asked Wildcats if they think Dr. King’s dream has been realized. 

William Irving, sophomore – It’s alive ‘til this day because in today’s society you see a lot of interracial couples and friends, and that’s what MLK dreamed of–to be in unity. 

Tyson Stephens, junior – Yes, because we didn’t have school on Monday. 

Janyce Jones, senior – No, because that dream doesn’t really go with the human society.

Laura Sellars, math teacher  – Yes, it’s still alive. I see progress in time and things are better now. It’s improving but has a long way to go. 

Simon Hart, English teacher – Yes, I believe it’s still alive because there’s various people carrying the torch.