A look towards the future: Seniors prep for graduation

On June 6, the senior class will walk across the stage at graduation to receive their diploma. Senior Jillian Eisenhut is among these students and looks forward this ceremony that symbolizes all of the work she has put in at LN for the past four years.
“It’s symbolic to me of you’ve worked for four years so walking across that stage and getting that diploma is just really important to show all the effort you put in,” Eisenhut said.
According to senior principal Ruben DeLuna, many seniors can struggle to stay focused during these last few months of school and they are excitedly looking towards the future. Before leaving LN for good though, seniors must make sure that they have everything taken care of at the school such as paying fees and meeting academic requirements for their diploma.
“Parents want to make sure that fees are paid and that attendance is OK and students have met the academic requirements. A lot of folks kind of mentally back off a little bit on high school once the college process starts with the applications and once they get notice of acceptance. They’re like ‘alright, now I’m really ready to move on.’ Well you’ve still got a few months of high school yet. You’ve got to get to the finish line,” DeLuna said.
For many seniors graduating, college is their next step. Eisenhut plans to take this step by going on to study elementary education at Purdue University.
“I feel like this is a natural progression after high school. Of course a lot of people don’t go to college but I feel like for a solid chunk of people this is just a natural step to take after high school is to move on to college so I think it’s really important to complete that,” Eisenhut said.
Along with this time comes stress, DeLuna believe. With finishing up classes, making sure diploma requirements are filled, paying any outstanding fees, picking up caps and gowns, planning for the summer and starting to plan for college, there are many things that seniors need to complete before graduation.
“It can be stressful times for everyone but what we try to focus on and impress upon students and families is to enjoy the moment because it’s going to go fast. I know we have less than three weeks of school left. Graduation is right around the corner and before you know it we will blink and we will be marching out of the Coliseum there and it will be over,” DeLuna said.
After this ceremony is over, seniors will move on to starting their next step in life. For Eisenhut, this new period of her life marks a lot of major changes. Even though she expects to face some challenges during the transition from high school to college, she is optimistic about her future and eager to start something new.
“I love my parents and I know it’s going to be really hard being away from them because I’m a very family oriented person but being out on your own and truly being like an adult is going to be very exciting,” Eisenhut said.
For many, this will be a time where they get to experience a new type of independence in college. Senior Anna Sego is one that is eagerly awaiting graduation and starting college in the fall where she will attend Ball State. Sego looks forward to all of the opportunities that lie ahead and taking on this new challenge.
“It will be a little rough to start because I won’t really know what to do but once I get the hang of it I think I will be OK,” Sego said.
Even though many seniors are eagerly awaiting graduation day, Eisenhut realizes there will be many things she will miss. Most of all she is going to miss the people that she has gotten to know in high school and spending lots of time with her friends and teachers.
“It’s so funny because part of me is like ‘I’m not going to miss this at all. I can’t wait to never have to come back’ but then I’m getting those graduation goggles,” Eisenhut said.