The student news site of Lawrence North High School

North Star

North Star

North Star

Battle on the turf

Wildcats face Bears again in sectionals

My take 

By Tierra Watts
Staff Member

On Oct. 13, the Wildcats’ varsity football team secured a resounding 21-6 victory in their last regular season home game against the Pike Red Devils. This victory marked a significant milestone for the Wildcats, putting their record at 6-3 and setting the stage for sectionals. Two  Wildcats had extraordinary stats. Those two players were junior Davion Chandler, who had a 34 yard receiving touchdown, and senior Montez Jones, who had a total of 3 touchdowns, a 34-yard passing touchdown and 2 one-yard rushing touchdowns. 

Throughout the season, the Wildcats have showcased their strength and determination, amassing an impressive record of 6 wins and only 3 losses. This exceptional performance has instilled a sense of confidence and optimism among both the players and the loyal fans who have been supporting the team with unwavering dedication.

As the Wildcats gear up for their upcoming clash against Lawrence Central, the prospects are indeed promising. The Bears, with a record of 4-5, seem to be facing an uphill battle. This upcoming match against a team that has demonstrated consistent success could provide a glimpse into the future, shedding light on how the sectionals might unfold for the Wildcats.

The anticipation for this matchup is palpable, and the Lawrence North community eagerly awaits what promises to be a thrilling encounter. The team’s hard work and dedication have not only ignited the spirit of competition but also kindled the hopes of a successful season and a winning journey through the sectionals. Lawrence North Wildcats fans are undoubtedly looking forward to the action on the field as they cheer their team on to what they hope will be another memorable victory. 

On the other hand, the Wildcats are well aware of the threat the Bears pose. They won’t take this game lightly and will be prepared to defend their winning streak. The Wildcats have been putting in the hard work and training necessary to maintain their control in this rivalry.

While the Bears may have had a challenging time in their previous encounters with The Wildcats, this year could be an opportunity for them to stage a comeback. Sports history is filled with instances of longshot teams defying expectations and emerging victorious. The Bears might be gearing up to make a strong and determined recovery, and their fans are undoubtedly hoping for just that.

Over the past three years, The Bears have faced The Wildcats four times during the season, and unfortunately for Bears fans, they came out on the losing end in all four of those games. This recent history may suggest an aim, but in the world of sports, anything can happen. Each new season brings fresh possibilities, and it’s impossible to predict the outcome with absolute certainty.

This clash of these two football teams promises to be a rivalry. The town is divided, with passionate fans on both sides, and the game itself will be a showcase of athleticism, strategy, and the indomitable spirit of these teams. As the game day approaches, the excitement continues to build, and the whole community eagerly awaits the moment when the Bears and the Wildcats take to the field, ready to give it their all in pursuit of victory. In the end, I hope, as a Wildcats fan, for us to take this win.